Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Spring Break Reviews #3

Spring Break Day 3 - the "get-lots-of-work-done-so-you-can-feel-accomplished" day.

BIBLIOPHILIA: I love reviewing literature.
Face on the Milk Carton - loved it. I went to the public library this morning to check out the next three books in that series just because I want to read them all before I get my kiddos hooked on some series if it turns out that they're all garbage. My mom wouldn't let me read this book as a kid, and I had to call her today on the phone and specifically apologize for reading it now and confess my love for the story. Ahh, sweet cleansing.

Bronx Masquerade by Nikki Grimes is FIVE STARS baby. I loved this sweet little tome. Each chapter is told by a different student in a high school English class in the Bronx. Their English teacher gets them all to start reciting original poetry once the kids realize that it's not much different from rap. After each chapter is the poem that character speaks at their weekly poetry reading. A really "whole" story about diverse characters and situations from an impoverished area. I want to read sections of it to my students. BTW, it won the "Coretta Scott King" award for literature which promotes peace, non-violent social change and brotherhood.

LIFE REVIEWS:
1. Ryan graduates this May, which led us to think about graduation announcements and potential wish lists for parents who want to buy him something memorable. I am excited to get my hands on these announcements, being the paper-phile (I'm sure there is an actual word for this... the closest I could get was logophile... lover of words) that I am. Is $3.50 for four announcements a good price? I am also pumped to purchase a store-bought cake with fancy writing and thick gooey frosting. Ryan doesn't want any part of this and desires that no attention be drawn to himself, so I think I may have them script in pink something like, "at least he's not turning 30" or "Paramaribo is the capital of the Republic of Suriname" instead. I might also ask for gigantic flowers all over the place.

2. I have begun the arduous process of researching which states in this country have reciprocal agreements with Kansas for the transfer of teaching licenses. Since Ryan has begun the process of sending out his resume to various regions, I figured I had better get on the stick with figuring out how my job may change. Here are a few highlights from my searches today:

MAINE: will take anyone... literally. There are no real requirements other than "send us your application." Low fees involved.

NEW HAMPSHIRE: only need to have 3+ months of previous experience, as opposed to the 3 years that most other states require (I only have 2). I will have to submit a portfolio demonstrating that I'm legit. $300 fee to submit said portfolio. Do I get a discount for having been born there? No.

VERMONT: sucks. I would also have to submit a portfolio, which is peer reviewed, due to lack of experience. However, this peer review process costs over $1,000 and requires two in-person visits for seminars, etc... Did I mention I currently live in Kansas and Vermont really has no major airports to speak of?

RHODE ISLAND: has no reciprocity with the state of Kansas. $50 application fee to try though... might give it a go.

CONNECTICUT: no official reciprocity with any state, which is interesting. I would only need 20 months of "successful" (how do they measure this?), "appropriate" (again, is there a scale?) full-time teaching experience to apply for an out-of-state license transfer. $50 application fee. Reasonable.

NEW YORK: website was too confusing. Am I a moron? Is New York always this way? Gave up and wrote myself a note to "call a real person."

NEW JERSEY: hilarious. I will now copy directly from their state deptment of ed website an actual step to receiving a license: "Applicants applying for instructional certification must pass an examination in physiology and hygiene. The examination is administered at the county offices of education. In lieu of this examination, the applicant may present basic military training or college level study in areas such as biology, health or nutrition." So New Jersey really is smelly? Oh wait, as long as you take a college level nutrition class, you're probably fine. Love it.

MARYLAND: apparently you must have completed an out-of-state "APPORVED" program. If they won't hire me as a teacher, perhaps I could proof-read their web content instead.

VIRGINIA: see Maine. Love it.

I sort of gave up after this and really have only included the highlights here. Please say a little prayer for this not-overly-experienced English teacher. Several state websites specifically said, "due to budget cuts and decreases in staffing, application requests may involve a 6-8 month processing time." Maybe I could get a job reviewing adolescent literature? Would anyone pay me for these musings? On that note...

No comments: