Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day 2009

So I had the joy of watching the Inauguation of President Obama today with my students, and it was wonderful. I had so much fun explaining things to them and talking about the historic issues involved. They were all very well behaved for the entire hour that we watched, with barely a peep at all. It was sort of cute when the benediction was given by Rev. Lowery, one of my students leaned over and said, "he sounds like Yoda!" They also loved the ending to his prayer with all the colors of the world. They chuckled.
I did have a student ask why the bullet proof glass didn't cover all of Obama's body. I tried to diplomatically point out to them that most likely, the congressmen and women behind him would not be the ones making an attempt on his life. Therefore, if there were any issues, they would most likely be coming from below and thus at an angle. They were all like, "oooohhhh true..." Teehee.
I have not yet decided how I feel about the Elizabeth Alexander's poem selection, especially the abrubt ending. I did appreciate that she mentioned, "teachers saying, 'take out your pencils... begin'." We like a nod every now and again. I am not sure why the current Poet Laureate Kay Ryan was not selected. I thought this was the tradition?? Hmm...
Either way - I am more than proud to be an American on such a historic day and warmed to know that when my students look back on this day, they may remember sharing it with me. ;o )

No comments: